Government reconsiders 2026 World Cup broadcast bid after B1.7bn price tag

Government reconsiders 2026 World Cup broadcast bid after B1.7bn price tag

Government questions whether 1.7 billion baht can deliver World Cup success?

Add Bangkok Post as a preferred source on Google
Passsengers look at a giant model of the football called "Trionda" and a replica of the World Cup trophy, are displayed at Mexico City International Airport, ahead of the World Cup starting on June 11, in Mexico City, Mexico, on May 15, 2026. (Photo: Reuters)
Passsengers look at a giant model of the football called "Trionda" and a replica of the World Cup trophy, are displayed at Mexico City International Airport, ahead of the World Cup starting on June 11, in Mexico City, Mexico, on May 15, 2026. (Photo: Reuters)

The government is reconsidering whether to pursue broadcasting rights for the 2026 Fifa World Cup after estimating the cost at more than 1.7 billion baht.

Officials argue the funds might yield greater long-term benefit if redirected toward grassroots football development in Thailand.

Prime Minister’s Office Minister Paradorn Prissanananthakul said on Monday that the government has not abandoned efforts to secure the rights for the tournament, which will be hosted by the United States, Canada and Mexico from June 11 to July 19, 2026.

Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul previously instructed the Government Public Relations Department (PRD) to coordinate with the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) to explore ways for Thai viewers to watch the matches live.

However, preliminary talks between the PRD and the NBTC revealed significant financial hurdles. Mr Paradorn said the rights fee alone would be about 1.3 billion baht, with taxes of roughly 300 million baht and operational costs near 100 million baht — pushing the total above 1.7 billion baht.

“There are questions about whether 1.7 billion baht would truly inspire Thai youth and help Thai football reach the World Cup finals in the future,” the minister said. “Perhaps using the same amount to support youth development programmes and strengthen Thai football infrastructure would create greater long-term benefits.”

Prime Minister’s Office Minister Paradorn Prissanananthakul suggests redirecting 1.7 billion baht from broadcasts to youth programmes and football infrastructure. (Photo: Chanat Katanyu)

Prime Minister’s Office Minister Paradorn Prissanananthakul suggests redirecting 1.7 billion baht from broadcasts to youth programmes and football infrastructure. (Photo: Chanat Katanyu)

Mr Paradorn added that the proposal requires careful review because the funds come from taxpayers, regardless of the funding source. A final decision is expected soon, with the tournament less than a month away.

He suggested the sum could instead support grassroots programmes for several years, citing the former Prime Minister’s Cup youth tournament run by the Ministry of Tourism and Sports as a low-cost example that helped inspire and develop young players nationwide.

Prime Minister Anutin said the government is still making its “best effort” to help secure World Cup broadcasts for Thai viewers and is coordinating “to the fullest extent possible” to explore every available option.

Subscribe to our newsletters for daily updates, breaking news and exclusive content.

Please put in a valid-email.
You must agree before subscribing.