Foreign Minister Sihasak Phuangketkaeow says he expects little opposition to a proposal to halve the visa-free stay period for foreign tourists in Thailand to 30 days.
Authorities are also examining the overall visa framework to determine whether the large number of visa categories remains necessary and whether some could be merged, he said on Tuesday.
Authorities for several months have been speaking out almost daily about the need to change the visa-free policy as it has had unintended consequences since it was expanded in July 2024.
Mr Sihasak said his ministry believed the current 60-day visa-free stay — with one 30-day extension available — may be excessive and could allow individuals with non-tourism intentions to misuse the arrangement.
Residents of tourist destinations such as Koh Samui and Koh Phangan blame the relaxation of visa conditions for an explosion in illegal foreign ownership — through Thai nominees — of businesses.
According to Mr Sihasak, the proposal to reduce the visa-free period was prepared during the first administration of Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul but a decision was postponed due to the election. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is now seeking to accelerate the process.
Mr Sihasak said the Cabinet Secretariat must consult relevant agencies before proceeding. He added that he did not expect any obstacles as a ministry-chaired visa committee already included all the related agencies.
He said visa-related measures have proliferated in recent years, driven by various agencies with good intentions — such as attracting experts or promoting soft power — but may at times have exceeded what is necessary. As a result, authorities must reassess the criteria, including whether such measures remain justified.
Asked when the government would conclude its review of visa regulations and possible consolidation of visa categories, Mr Sihasak said the immediate priority was the visa-free scheme for tourists.
He insisted that the review was not prompted solely by recent incidents involving Chinese nationals, contrary to some reports, as preparations had already been under way beforehand.
Asked whether the government may shorten the permitted length of stay for Chinese visitors or even revoke visa-free privileges entirely, the minister said Thailand has not targeted any specific country. Instead, the government was focusing on activities that may pose problems or threaten national security.
The minister said tourist visas should provide an appropriate duration for travel purposes, which in his view should not exceed 30 days. Authorities would also tighten screening measures to ensure visitors comply with the stated purpose of their visas.
“We are not discriminating against any nationality. However, we must be strict with those who engage in undesirable activities, especially those linked to security concerns,” said the minister.