Prime Minister's Office Minister Supamas Isarabhakdi said on Tuesday that officials from the Office of the Consumer Protection Board (OCPB) will meet representatives of Volvo Car (Thailand) Co on Thursday.
The meeting follows a fire involving a Volvo EX30 electric vehicle while it was being charged at a consumer's home last Friday.
The company reportedly stated that the fire was not caused by a manufacturing fault but by the owner charging the battery above 70% capacity.
Ms Supamas said such an explanation contradicted common understanding among EV users, as electric vehicles are generally expected to be safely charged up to 100%.
The meeting will seek clarification on several issues, including the cause of the fire, the timeline for battery replacement for affected vehicles and compensation measures for customers unable to use their cars during the recall process.
The minister said more than 1,600 Volvo EX30 vehicles in Thailand are subject to a battery recall, while more than 800 replacement battery units are expected to arrive in June.
The OCPB has the authority to file civil lawsuits on behalf of consumers and confirmed that 45 complaints had already been lodged with the agency, Ms Supamas said, adding that not all complaints involved fire incidents, as some owners filed grievances out of concern over safety risks.
According to Pacharin Sumsiripong, secretary to Ms Supamas, Volvo Cars (Thailand) had earlier issued a preventive advisory warning that the battery could overheat if charged beyond 70%.
Customers were temporarily advised to limit charging to below that level, said Ms Pacharin, citing a statement reportedly issued by Volvo Car (Thailand) Co. Also, the company has reportedly suspended sales of the Volvo EX30 in Thailand pending further action.
Ms Pacharin said consumers had yet to receive replacement batteries despite the recall announcement, and the subsequent fire incident suggested that the temporary charging restriction alone was insufficient.
OCPB records showed that between 2008 and May 13 this year, the agency received seven complaints about vehicle fires across various brands. Five cases were settled through mediation, while two remain under consideration for legal action.