Police widen ransom case investigation

Police widen ransom case investigation

Four officers face extortion charges

Add Bangkok Post as a preferred source on Google
Trairong: Suspects held in custody
Trairong: Suspects held in custody

Four police officers accused of abducting and extorting five Chinese nationals in Sa Kaeo province have been suspended pending dismissal, as authorities pursue criminal charges and widen an investigation that has sent shockwaves through the police force.

The scandal came to light after officers from several agencies raided a house in Wang Sombun district on Saturday and rescued five Chinese men allegedly being held for ransom. Four police officers and one civilian suspect were arrested at the scene, while authorities seized several handguns, ammunition and two pickup trucks.

According to investigators, the victims secretly contacted authorities via the Line messaging application, claiming they were being detained and forced to pay money in exchange for their release.

Police said the victims told investigators they had been detained since about 2am on May 16, handcuffed, threatened and ordered to pay US$10,000 each, or roughly 300,000 baht, to secure their freedom.

Two of the victims allegedly transferred US$2,000 each to the suspects, totalling US$4,000, with payment slips obtained as evidence.

Investigators found that the four officers had initially detained the Chinese nationals over alleged immigration offences under the Immigration Act. However, instead of handing them over to investigators as required by law, the suspects allegedly confined them in a private residence and demanded the money for their release.

The victims also implicated a fifth police officer, who allegedly left the house to buy food and drinks shortly before the raid and has yet to be taken into custody.

Police spokesman Pol Lt Gen Trairong Phiwphan said on Thursday that the officers' superiors had ordered their immediate suspension pending dismissal. Wang Sombun police have charged the four officers with unlawful detention, abuse of authority, extortion and malfeasance in office, while the civilian suspect faces charges of assisting officials in committing offences.

All four have been remanded in custody since Tuesday. Authorities are continuing to track down the fifth officer and examining possible links between the Chinese nationals and transnational criminal or online scam networks.

Subscribe to our newsletters for daily updates, breaking news and exclusive content.

Please put in a valid-email.
You must agree before subscribing.