Complaints filed against individuals who took photos of barcodes and QR codes on ballots used in the Feb 8 general election were justified as they help safeguard the electoral process, the Election Commission (EC) says.
The move was necessary to protect the credibility and fairness of the election, said secretary-general of the EC, Sawaeng Boonmee.
He was addressing complaints filed by the EC against six individuals who took photos of barcodes and QR codes on ballots used in the Feb 8 general election and attempted to decipher them.
The individuals are under police investigation but have yet to be charged.
Mr Saweang added the EC received a request from the Constitutional Court last week asking for witness statements in a related case concerning the barcodes and QR codes on the ballots.
Earlier, the Ombudsman decided to petition the court to rule on whether the use of barcodes and QR codes on ballot papers in the election violated the constitutional requirement that voting be conducted directly and by secret ballot.
The move followed critics' complaints the system could allow voters' identities and choices to be traced, potentially undermining the secrecy of the vote.
Five witnesses are preparing the statements now. Four of them are law experts and another is a technology expert, Mr Sawaeng said.
He also addressed reports that former election commissioner Somchai Srisutthiyakorn may file a defamation complaint against the EC, saying it would not pose any special challenge.
He also addressed the progress of the Senate election collusion case, asserting the inquiry is still underway. The commission has been accused of dragging the chain, as many senators are government-aligned.