Gunfire heard at border during patrol in Surin

Gunfire heard at border during patrol in Surin

Army steps up monitoring, Senate preparing to brief Asian diplomats about Cambodia situation

Add Bangkok Post as a preferred source on Google
Maj Gen Nat Sri-in, the 2nd Army Area deputy commander, speaks with a new conscript during his visit to a training unit at the Weerawatyothin military camp in Surin province on Friday. (Photo: 2nd Army Area)
Maj Gen Nat Sri-in, the 2nd Army Area deputy commander, speaks with a new conscript during his visit to a training unit at the Weerawatyothin military camp in Surin province on Friday. (Photo: 2nd Army Area)

Sounds of gunfire were heard while Thai troops were patrolling along the Thai-Cambodian border in Surin, but no unusual activity was detected, the Royal Thai Army said on Friday.

Army spokesman Maj Gen Winthai Suvaree said troops from Ranger Company 2603 under the Suranaree Task Force were on duty near boundary marker 18 in Kap Choeng district on Thursday when five gunshots were heard 600 metres away in an area controlled by Cambodian forces.

Troops closely monitored the area but no unusual activity was detected. Operations later resumed, and no retaliation was made in order to avoid exposing troop positions and deployment plans, he said.

After the incident, the Suranaree Task Force ordered units along the border to remain on alert and strictly follow rules on the use of force according to the situation.

Maj Gen Winthai said that although the gunfire appeared to be a long-range act of provocation, it clearly contravened the ceasefire reached in December. Thai authorities would formally protest through local coordination channels.

Senators to brief diplomats

In a related development, the Senate committee studying the possible cancellation of the 2000 and 2001 memoranda of understanding (MoU) between Thailand and Cambodia have invited ambassadors from Asean countries plus China, Japan and South Korea for a briefing session.

Senator Nophadol In-na, chairman of the committee, said envoys from 12 countries accepted the invitation. He said this presents an opportunity for the committee to inform them of the committee’s unanimous decision to cancel both agreements.

The cabinet has already cancelled the 2001 agreement on maritime boundary negotiations, commonly known as “MoU 44” because it was signed in the Buddhist year 2544. Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said no progress had been made since the agreement was signed, and future disputes could be handled under the UN Convention on Law of the Sea.

The government has also indicated that MoU 43, dealing with land boundaries, could also be cancelled. 

Mr Nophadol said the briefing for the envoys would offer an opportunity to recount “repeated Cambodian encroachment on Thai territory over the past 25-26 years, which has led to border clashes”.

“We want to start by creating an understanding with our neighbours so that they can help disseminate information to other countries,” he said.

Mr Nophadol also said that while former prime minister Hun Sen has been able to control information disseminated internationally, the Thai Senate has also set up a committee to work on a proactive parliamentary diplomacy, allowing senators to address the international community on behalf of the Senate.

Subscribe to our newsletters for daily updates, breaking news and exclusive content.

Please put in a valid-email.
You must agree before subscribing.